City Attorney Office
Under the direction of the City Attorney, the Legal Department provides legal advice to the Mayor and the City Council. The specific duties of the department include:
- Legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, City Departments and City employees relating to the functions and activities of the City.
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, policies and other documents.
- Contract drafting, review and execution.
- Overseeing litigation files in state and federal courts against or on behalf of the City and its employees.
- Representing the City in real estate transactions.
The Office of the City Attorney is prohibited from providing legal advice to citizens, individuals or businesses, nor can the City Attorney give legal advice concerning private disputes.